Return to Headlines

Facilities Q&A #13

Who can vote in this special election?

Any resident who has resided in the Oakes Public School District for at least 30 days preceding the election on Thursday, March 14, is eligible to vote. You must also be a U.S. citizen, at least 18 years of age on Election Day, and a resident of North Dakota. North Dakota does not require voter registration, but you will need one of the following forms of identification to vote: a North Dakota Driver’s License, a North Dakota non-driver ID, a Tribal ID or Tribal letter, or a Long-Term Care Certificate. Identification must include your name, current residential address, and date of birth. If your ID is not updated with your current address, you can bring supplemental information that includes your current address to vote. This documentation includes a current bank statement or utility bill, paycheck or paystub, check or document issued by a federal, state, tribal, or local government, or a printed document issued by a college or university plus your student ID. If you are not able to show a valid form of identification, you can also vote by set-aside ballot. For more information on voting, including how to vote by set-aside ballot, visit


Someone in my family is in the nursing home, how can they vote?

A resident of the Oakes Public School District who resides in a long-term care facility can vote by absentee ballot through Wednesday, March 13, or in person on Election Day (Thursday, March 14). A resident will need to provide a Long Term Care Certificate to vote by absentee ballot or in person, unless they have a valid form of identification. The long-term care facility can provide a Long Term Care Certificate and help a resident complete the certificate for voting purposes. For more information on absentee voting in this special election, visit


How do I vote if I am a college student who is not currently living at home?

If you are a college student who is living away from your permanent residence in the Oakes Public School District, you may vote by absentee ballot. Your primary address on an acceptable form of identification must be in the Oakes Public School District to vote in this special election. An absentee ballot allows you to vote by mail or return your absentee ballot in person to the Oakes Public School District Office. You can download an absentee ballot application at or contact Shannon Jepson at or 701-742-3234, Ext. 145. Absentee ballot applications can be emailed to or mailed to Oakes Public School, 804 Main Avenue, Oakes, ND 58474. All absentee ballots must be either postmarked or hand delivered to the Oakes Public School District Office by Wednesday, March 13. Please allow sufficient time for mail delivery.