Oakes Public School District Trilogy – October 2018

By Superintendent Kraig Steinhoff

District #41 is your district, our district, and together we must collaborate to keep the best interest of our students at the forefront of everything we do.  Recently I had the opportunity to talk with a wise local that gave me a unique perspective on education.  He talked about the importance of the triangle, or trilogy, if you will.  He described a triangle that has the students at the base, staff and board as another side, and the final side being parents and community.  Without the support of each other, we can’t be complete.

Students, Staff and Board, and Parents and Community.

I have also had several conversations lately with parents that have expressed concerns with a disparity present between the top two sides of our triangle.  District #41 will always have challenges present, but we can’t let our trilogy break loose because it is imperative for the success of our students.  There is no doubt in my mind that we all want the same thing which is to provide the students with the best educational experience we can as we prepare them for their futures as adults.  As the superintendent, I must be willing to listen to thoughts, ideas, criticism, and compliments as we navigate today, tomorrow and the foreseeable future.  As we continue to develop our strategic plan to guide us through these next several years I ask that you join me to keep our triangle complete in order to focus on our base, the students.  United we stand, divided we fall.

“The moment we break faith with one another, the sea engulfs us and the light goes out.” James Baldwin